Monday, March 3, 2008

Gcast: easy podcasting

I'm holding off on my entry about Bryan Alexander's excellent talk until I've uploaded my photos, but in the meantime I thought I would write about Gcast. Gcast is a tool which allows you to easily create and upload podcasts. I am taking Spanish Conversation this semester, so instead of weekly written assignments, our professor has us do "audio blogs" either about our weekly cultural/linguistic activity, or in response to a prompt she has given us. You can find my broken Spanish aquí. En la ultima entrada, hablé sobre Tacna, Peru, y lo que aprendí de Wikipedia en español.

The thing I really like about Gcast is that it's very accessible. Podcasting sounds intimidating, but Gcast allows you to call a toll-free phone number to record your podcast. You don't need to download special audio software or anything. This is especially useful when the recording needs to be done by 5:00, and it's 4:50 and I'm nowhere near my computer. Of course, if you want, you can also upload an audio file from your computer. One drawback with using the phone is the sound quality is pretty poor (making my Spanish especially hard to understand), but depending in how you're using it, it's good enough.

No comments: