Monday, February 2, 2009

Challenging heteronormativity

This is how you know I'm from the Bay Area:

Our house (landline) phone rang, and my roommate Stephanie answered. The person was doing a survey or something and asked for my roommate Emily. Stephanie responded that she no longer lives here (a graceful lie). They then asked to speak to the man or woman of the house (apparently Stephanie sounds young over the phone), and Stephanie said they weren't home, which ended the phone call. I suggested that next time she say that she doesn't identify as either a man or a woman and would appreciate some sensitivity.

It's always good to take opportunities to challenge heteronormativity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes! nice tactic.

when a telemarketer calls me, i get directly to the point. "listen," i say, "there is no way that i am going to buy anything or give you any money whatsoever. those are the rules. if you want to continue talking, go for it."

usually, they'll talk for another 2-3 minutes and then ask me to buy something. some hang up immediately. once, though, some guy stayed on the line for at least 20 minutes. i'm not sure who was dumber: me or he.